[Boat] flooding

Luitien Pan luitien at uchicago.edu
Wed Jun 18 08:57:32 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 06:15:24AM -0400, Igor Serebryany wrote:

> do you think this will still be a problem 2.5 months from now?
>
> i'm not sure how we could look into this - yes, there will probably be

I dunno.  Coast guard, maybe?

> additional debris around/in the river, but floods happen, right?  If
> nobody's going to clean up debris from this series of floods, nobody
> ever cleans it up, so it must always just be sitting there...

Floods happen, yes.  But floods like this happen only a couple times
a century.

> Contamination will also decrease to more normal levels once cleaner
> upstream water has had a chance to wash away the dirty floodwater. The

The water will wash away, but the riverbed itself will collect all
sorts of random crap from the surrounding countryside.  Think of
all the sewage treatment plants that got flooded out in the last
two weeks.