[chrysalis.activism] Book Group: Me and White Supremacy

Anna McFall annasmcfall at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 23:06:27 CDT 2020

Notes:
David - Facilitator
Anna - Note-taker
Topher - Guardian
Stacey - Santa Barbarian

*White Exceptionalism*
PC culture = color-blindness, "smoothing over" instead of addressing it as
a problem
Young children = whaaaaat do? other than diverse books? what happens when
they don't interact with non-white people?
How to be in touch with wider society while still remaining close with
immediate community?
Attempting to be the Best White Person can shield self with white
exceptionalism from seeing how to be a Better White Person
"I am 'Standard Issue Product of White Supremacy'!"
--> How to deconstruct voice that wants to perpetuate feeling of
exceptionalism?
*Be okay with discomfort
*Understand that something gained is also something lost
*Ask yourself what you'd like to have done as part of the Civil Rights era,
then do that!
*Be empowered by other people taking action

Yay! For next week, Week 2 Intro + Day 8.

>>> chrysalis.activism at moomers.org