[chrysalis.activism] Book Group: Me and White Supremacy

David Ginsburg dav9dg at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 00:12:50 CDT 2020

7/1:
Anna - Guardian
David - Note-taker
Stacey - absent
Topher - Facilitator

WHITE FRAGILITY - Notes
- overlaps with white exceptionalism ("I'm a good white person")
- from last time: people tend to focus on the individual but we're being
asked to look at the system we live in and our role in that
- people get defensive because they want to be a good person
- what does white fragility mean to BIPOC? white fragility makes a white
person an unreliable ally
   - On tactical basis (not just not the right thing): e.g. can't rely on
them, have to be wary of what it means emotionally to engage with them
- part of self dismissing existence of being complicit in systemic
oppression ("maybe we don't know the context [for a given situation]")
- what to do when there is an individual who is toxic?
- parallel to "believe the victim" -> just believe the BIPOC
- "white people" as shorthand for "the group of people who benefit from
white privilege"
- fear of BIPOC because of possibility of fucking up an interaction
- moderating discussions of racism in a classroom was easier than figuring
out racism and antiracism in your own social life: the "classroom
discussion" is a known genre of discussion and involves challenging
students to confront it but not yourself doing it on a personal level
  - teacher knows it's their responsibility to play a certain role in that
context (define your own roles vs having the roles set up for you)
- "white people": frustrated to be lumped in a group, but it also exists!
- legitimately proud of being a white person by using my whiteness (e.g.
white privilege, etc.) for good
  - proud of using this power effectively
- Dissociate identity to feel less attacked on a personal level
  - I am a white person vs I have whiteness
  - I have whiteness
  - I have whiteness: covers white passing (about how people perceive you;
it's not personal)

How to become more resilient:
- Accountability: how to address avoidance?
  - celebrate wins (e.g. share stories when we were able to have
mindfulness around defensiveness)
- Noticing/mindfulness: when feeling a feeling with another person, notice
having the feeling and deciding what to do with it
  - would like to notice feeling of defensiveness and decide to calm
myself, not act, stop & listen, maybe ask questions, don't jump into
defensiveness
  - positive reenforcement: celebrate whenever you can do this in small ways
- "Don't be sorry, be better"
  - be proactive, carve out time to do the right thing
- What to do about performative allyship? Antidote: *listening* without
needing to signal wokeness, and *amplify* others
  - seek out more opportunities to *listen*
- witnessing/listening/observing regular things (e.g. art, music, joy,
beauty) from BIPOC sources
- Be curious! Antidote to nervousness and social anxiety
- Creating safe space for risky challenges? Risky challenges are not safe,
but having a circle to process emotions in a safe space can support you
taking risks
- Process your emotions! Cry, etc. But don't do it in the moment in a
burdensome way for BIPOC.
- Show up as an adult and not a child trying to please (performative
allyship is childish)
- Personal development is your own time and space. White fragility has
impact on BIPOC, so yes you should process your emotions
- How to use privilege for good? Economic: redirect money to black-owned
businesses
- We feel tendencies to step away and not look at this, so what's the
motivation? What are the benefits for us of addressing our white fragility?
  - Helps us be more free
    - Fragility: largely about avoidance and fear. So addressing it helps
us be more free!
  - Feel a sense of alienation from BIPOC, so addressing our fragility
fosters more authentic connection
  - Want to feel good (source of fragility is not wanting to feel bad), so
we are defensive, but that feels worse!
- How can we detach and make it not personal?
  - Remember that it's about the other person. Curiosity and refocusing on
how the other person is feeling.
  - Refocus on the actual problem.
  - Say "this is not about me"