[chrysalis.activism] KQED Forum on BOP & removing police from schools

Christopher Lin powertothepenguins at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 13:03:36 CDT 2020

Yesterday's Forum featured BOP directors, OUSD members, and sociology
researchers on the question of police in schools. Really interesting
conversation. One big takeaway is that while removing police is good, the
real focus is on what replaces them—how do we address white supremacy in
the classroom more broadly, and how do we provide alternate services for
resolving conflicts and disciplinary issues? Simultaneously, we need to
decide what the school's relationship with police (or school resource
officers, rather) ought to look like, because they will sometimes be needed
(e.g. shootings, when guns are brought to school).

Apple Podcasts:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/kqeds-forum/id73329719?i=1000479302956
on KQED.org:
https://www.kqed.org/forum/2010101878243/communities-push-to-remove-police-from-schools