[chrysalis.activism] KQED Forum on BOP & removing police from schools

Anna McFall annasmcfall at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 17:13:15 CDT 2020

Thanks for the report, Topher!  Restorative Justice is a big
movement-slash-buzzword in education, and it would be ideal if it were
implemented well far and wide; unfortunately, from my perspective, schools
are so fucked up that the conditions for effective RJ practices are hard to
come by. :-/ But some people have been doing it!  MetWest High School in
Oakland is the local, or possibly national, flagship of successful
Restorative Justice.

I'm glad people are having these sorts of discussions, and I'm of course
going to remain engaged and interested (and hopefully active) in efforts to
tackle systemic issues in schools.  I'm grateful for the folks at Nea who
are trying their darnedest to work toward this vision.  I also hope that
the near-dissolution of school-as-we-know-it ITTOC will lead to a
phoenix-like rebirth of what we think of as education, but... tbd.